Want To Enable Dark Mode On Your Android Device? Follow These Steps
Chrome for Android is finally getting the much anticipated dark mode. The feature is available on the app’s Android version 74.0.3729.112 which is being rolled out to all Android devices.
There is no straight way to enable dark mode on chrome 74 for Android as yet. The feature essentially turns the white background into black. This apparently makes it easy for users to browse the web during the night and also help in improving the battery life of the android device. Turning the background black or dark grey not only provides better contrast but also reduces eyestrain.
Several apps like YouTube, Twitter, messenger for Facebook have introduced dark mode on their Android version before the next major Android update. To activate dark mode on chrome your android here is what you need to do, the instructions are as follows:
- The first thing that you need to do is to ensure that you are using chrome version 74 and then proceed.
- Enter chrome://flagsin the address bar.
- In the search bar for chrome flags, search for “android chrome UI dark mode.” After which you should be able to see the flag without typing the entire phrase.
- Tap on “default” and select “enabled.”
- You would be prompted to relaunch chrome so that the setting can be applied. Tap on “relaunch now.”
Now, go to settings> dark mode and toggle the switch to turn the dark mode on. Now, the different elements of chrome including the start-up screen, 3-dot menu, settings, etc. Will be painted in a gray tint suitable to relieve your eyes and reduce battery consumption in the case of oled/amoled displays on your android device.
In case, you wish to go back to the normal mode of your screen, you can take a look at the following steps for the same:
- Go to chrome://flags again and search for “android web contents dark mode.”
- Enable the flag and relaunch chrome just like above
- Please note that this feature work irrespective of whether it is switched on or off.