Having PAN or Permanent Account Number is a must for filing income tax return. Other than for filing I-T return, PAN is also necessary for many other services like bank account opening, applying for a loan etc. as it an important KYC document. Specifically for individuals earning an income (either from job or business), PAN is necessary nowadays. If you don’t have a PAN card, and if you wish to apply for a new one then you are at right place. Now the time has changed, everything has become digital. Hence, the process of applying for a new PAN card has become digital as well.
The government’s mobile application known as UMANG (Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance) app launched this year, allows you to access many services with ease. You can apply for your new PAN card with the help of UMANG App. Following are step by step guidelines on how you can get it done both online and offline.
Your mobile number needs to be registered with Aadhaar to avail the e-KYC and e-sign service so that you can successfully complete the whole application process online. The e-KYC allows you to use the same details as your Aadhaar (like name, photograph, etc) in your PAN. This way, you do not need to worry about uploading a photograph or signature to complete the process.
Here is a step by step guide on how to apply for PAN card through the UMANG app:
1) Download the UMANG app from the app store and register yourself using your mobile number. You can also link it with your Aadhaar number. Once you are done with the registration you are good to go now.
2) From the app select My PAN and then select New PAN Card (49A) to apply for a new PAN using form 49A.
3) The following screen will be shown as soon as you select “New PAN Card (49A)”. Select ‘apply using Form 49A physical’. Here you have to fill in your personal details required for applying for a PAN card following which an electronic version of the filled in Form 49A will be generated. You can print this file and send it to a branch, which processes PAN application.
4) After you select “apply using Form 49A physical”, the following form will come where you need to fill in your details. If you are an individual, then in the first row (under applicant status) select “Body of Individual” and in the second row select “Both Physical PAN card and E-PAN”. Also, fill other personal details asked in the form.
5) After you fill all the details submit the form. An application number is generated on successful submission of the form. Now you need to make payment for the same. Once, payment is successfully made, the applicant can generate a digital document file in PFD format by clicking on the “generate PDF button”.
6) Take a print out of the form and affix two passport size (3.5 cm* 2.5 cm) photograph of yours. Put your signature at three specified positions on the form- one across the affixed photograph on the left-hand box, one below the photograph in the right-hand box, and one in the space provided on page 2.
7) Now attach copies of relevant documents like identity proof, address proof and date of birth proof. Now your application is complete. You can submit it to the nearest UTIITSL office.